Friday, July 2, 2010

Stranger in a far Stranger Land

It's been forever and a day since I've updated this...

Anyway, I should be at LDAC now, but for some late unpleasantness that have delayed me for a year going to cadet land and which I'd rather not dwell on. At any rate I will go to LDAC next summer, so in the end, everything's all right.

Instead this year I'm with my family in Paris. I have to say that its a pretty nice place, despite the fact that I have absolutely no grasp of the language, so I'm even more lost here than I was in Kazakhstan.

We're living on Rue de l'Exposition, which places us about a block away from the Champ de Mars and the Eifle Tower. Eat your heart out francophiles. I've got probably the most scenic run route in the morning. Every day I'm here I'm getting up rather early ( I'm having a hard time staying asleep...) and going about 3 laps around the Champ de Mars and down to the Eifle Tower. I think that's about 6 kilometers but I'm not sure exactly. Great little jog.

Yesterday we had a long day. Hit the Louvre and I have to say I am not a fan of art. Yeah, I'm uncultured but it just doesn't appeal to me, except for a few of the large 19th century french pictures, such as the Raft of the Medusa or Lady Liberty Leading the People. Other than that, the musuem was a pretty rough couple of hours.

Today promises to be much better though--we'll be seeing Les Invalids and good old Nappy! I look forward to many great souvenirs--like my Napoleon Sword letter opener or my Napoleon coasters (courtesy of the Louvre, so I can't complain too much I guess).

Back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment